[Zope] Non-query SQL with Zope (naive question)

Ross J. Reedstrom reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:48:21 -0500

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 09:57:36AM +0200, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> At 06:15 24/08/99 , Bruce Elrick wrote:
> >Hi all...

<tale of woe with inserts, etc.>

> >How do people make full-fledged web applications with DB back ends using Zope?
> >Or do they even try?
>
> What problems have you run into when you tried?

<Martijn's description of how he uses Zope with a DB>

> When you create a ZSQL method, first use it's Test tab to see if your SQL
> works.  Then you can start calling the method from your DTML. Remember to
> put any parameters you want to pass into the SQL Method in the 'Arguments'
> field.

Here's the rub, Martijn. I bet when Bruce ran into the fact that when you
use the test tab on a ZSQL method that does not have select in it (i.e.,
it returns nothing) you get a very misleading message, implying an error.

I remember being confused by it the first time I saw it, as well.

Bruce, just check the DB via other methods (psql command prompt, or set
PGDEBUG to 3, restart the postmaster and watch you logs) You'll see that
all your non-select ZSQL works just fine.

THT,
Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer