[Zope] off-topic: does caching work differently with frames?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:37:46 +0200

Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> Hi, All
>
>     I'm working on a new site that uses frames for navigation (or, at least
> for one mode of navigation). I know other people have complained about
> caching issues on this list before, but I'm not sure if I've seen this
> before: when I'm using frames, IE5 seems to just put up the cached copies of
> things. If I go directly to the URL at the top level, I see the new
> content... but I have to explicitly refresh in the frame in order to get the
> new content to show up there...
>
>     Is this consistent with what you've all seen? Is there a way to make
> this stop?

Independently from frames (though it first came with those), is that IE4
and 5 (and I think also Opera) treat URLs with '#' in them differently.

Imagine we a page at this URL:

http://localhost/foobar

It contains a hyperlink to this URL:

http://localhost/foobar#foo

When you click on this in IE, foobar is *not* reloaded, but the same
foobar is recycled. This is okay. But the following in my opinion is
*not* okay. We have this hyperlink:

http://localhost/foobar#foo?option=bar

IE also doesn't reload *this* page. It just uses the old page, which in
a context of dynamic pages may be a completely different one. Obviously
it would be as we use arguments. If you don't use the '#' then IE does
reload. I consider this to be a bug in IE. Netscape doesn't have the
same problem.

You're probably running into a different problem, but I thought I'd
point this one out. If someone knows of a way to make this stop (other
than to use forms, and I don't even know if they officially support URLs
with #), I'd be grateful.

Regards,

Martijn