[Zope] running zope (newbie problem)

Ethan Fremen mindlace@majordomo.net
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:43:56 +0100

David Kankiewicz wrote:
> >>solution is to make var/ and contents be owned by the user that's ZServer
> is trying to run as.

I thought it would be root, as that's who I compiled it as.

> >>It's in the docs already, "nobody" must have write permissions in the var
> directory.

from FAQ.txt:
The var subdirectory of your installation and everything therein MUST be
writable by the user which runs cgi scripts on your _web_server_
(usually nobody _if_ you are using PCGI.)

(emphasis mine)

I compiled with wo_pcgi.py, and so I assumed this did not apply to me
and that the user would be root.

> hope that helps,

I chowned to nobody:nobody and it works.  Thanks for the tip!
I do think the documentation isn't very clear on the wo_cgi case,
though.

~mindlace