[Zope] Idea: ZTest: Integrated Use-case based web site testin g.

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:12:56 +0200

I agree that it would be nice -- I've been thinking of it earlier, then
submitted to chron, because I'm lazy -- I'm just saying that we do have
the tools, and running ZClient externally really isn't that different.

Ok, I'm sold.

I disagree slightly about your event object design though. Imho the
event object should be similar to a DTML Method -- so the event "action"
would in fact be DTML. The immediate benefit is that you can do anything
-- you're not restricted to launching URLs, and you get the Zope context
in the box. You could allow passing the calling event object to other
parts of the site. If event objects descended from DTMLMethod, you could
also use event objects just like DTML Methods and call them up -- manual
execution if you will.

The scheduler should support concurrency, not just queueing. In fact,
all we need is a simple "max concurrent tasks" semaphore to regulate the
thread count from the master thread.

A scheduler also needs a logging/reporting system. A history API would
be cool -- you could so <dtml-in "MyScheduler.pastEvents()"> and build
your own schedule reports. Maybe all output from the event DTML should
be attached to the history entry.

And so on.

Who writes this thing? This being an open source initiative(TM), I'm all
for chipping in. Anyone want to join the Scheduler Task Force?

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom smashers and a

http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8A32149