[Zope] Re: Performance of webserver?

Sam Gendler sam.gendler@software.com
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:35:38 +0000

I haven't done any benchmarking, yet, as I only downloaded zope
yesterday. I have, however, generated an Apache module based on the pCGI
stuff, so that you can have persistent connections to the zope server,
and there is no overhead of exec'ing any new process.  Everything runs
inside of Apache space, and every time an apache process exits, the
connection to zope is closed and cleaned up.  This gives me the piece of
mind of running on the Apache webserver, so I know the performance
baseline, and I trust the stability and security of the webserver.  I
will make the module public just as soon as I add all of the handling
for real configuration settings, such as virtual hosts, etc.  Currently,
there are just global zope settings across the entire webserver,
regardless of host, directory, .htaccess, etc.

Once it is done, you should get the baseline performance numbers of
Apache, with whatever added latency the zope executions require.

--sam

"Some Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is
 so plentiful, is the basic building block of the
 universe. I dispute that. I say there is more
 stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic
 building block of the universe.
                                       --Frank Zappa