[Zope] Performance of webserver?

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:05:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> Christopher Petrilli wrote:
>
> > Performance on a "mid size" Linux box would
> > be 35-50 hits/second (which translates to 3.8M hits/day).
>
> Is this using ZServer or PCGI via Apache?
Well, I just benchmarked a simple Zope page (http://www.mtg.co.at/)
locally. (Simple is relative, it does have an tree tag on it.)
The hardware:
K6-III/400, enough RAM to keep the whole thing in RAM,
IDE discs.

The software:
ZOPE 2.0.0b6 configured with pcgi-wrapper/pcgi-publisher.py
Apache 1.3.9 (mod_ssl 2.40)
RedHat Linux 6.0
ab (Apache Benchmark tool)

I did some tries with different concurrency, and it seems like it does not
have any effects on the results. Well, with a higher concurrency, the
average time needed per request increases. Well, pcgi serializes all
requests.

In fact, I just scored 15-16 requests per second, but the python process
never reached more than 69% CPU utilization (probably the serialization
stuff). 46KB/s.

For comparision, a simple static page (actually the "please wait, we are
updating our server" page you find on most of our hosted domains at the
moment), gets 540 requests per second with 950KB/s transfer rate.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +43/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256