[Zope] Questions... - OT

Teodor Cimpoesu teo@digiro.net
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 15:44:07 +0200

Stephen Pitts wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 07:52:58PM -0500, Brian K. Holdsworth wrote:
> > Hi Winston,
> >
> > I am also new to Zope, but I can tell you that it sounds like an application
> > for "cookies."  In case you are not familiar, "cookies" are files created by
> > the browser on the client machine that can be used by your server to store
> > persistent state information, like a visit count or a last visit date.
>
> Yes, but cookies have gotten a lot of bad press. I built a site with PHP
> and a login cookie and have gotten all caps messages from users accusing
> me of bloddy murder for using cookies.

I built several ( but now I have my hands on Zope :-) but no complains.
You cannot educate each user about what a cookie can do anyway.
The non-brainers think a `cookie' can rm -rf your hard, burn your
motherboard or kill your dog. But what would be Zope w/o cookies?
(remember the nice expandable trees, session management, preferences ,
etc.)
Not much, and cookies are just okay as long as the browsers do their
jobs
and send them only to originating domains, or only over SSL when this is
required.

--
CIMPOESU Teodor, Web Programmer

@ DIGICOM S.A. Bucharest, Romania