[Zope] FW: Manila Ships!

Jay, Dylan djay@lucent.com
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:08:52 +1100

This is basically a dummied down version of Zope with some stuff for free.
It has a scheduler and event driven emails which Zope doesn't have (how
would I produce an event when someone creates a new document in a certain
folder using Zope?).
It would be an interesting exercise to create a manila interface on top of
Zope. I would imagine that something that the PTK will make easier.

In any case I think a lot can be learnt (copied) from the way they are
marketing it. i.e. "web publishing for the rest of us" and emphasizing
separation of content designers and graphic designers and web people etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: dave@userland.com [mailto:dave@userland.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 11:20 PM
To: dave@userland.com
Subject: Manila Ships!

Manila Ships!
About Manila: "Manila is an Internet server application that allows groups
of writers, designers and graphics people to manage full-featured, high
performance web sites thru an easy-to-use browser interface. Manila is
included with Frontier 6.1."
"Manila is as simple or as deep as you want it to be. Few other Web products
scale well in both directions -- you either wind up with easy-to-use
homepage-building tools that can't handle dynamic sites, or you have
complicated, expensive content-management platforms that aren't helpful for
beginners or small sites. Manila lets anyone set up an interactive web site
quickly and easily, without any client-side software, but that site can grow
into a sophisticated, high-traffic site on the same platform. " Kevin
Werbach, Managing Editor, Release 1.0.
"Manila's Edit this Page feature is the metaphoric equivalent of WYSIWYG for
the Internet age. I believe that it is a ben! efit to unify your browser
navigation and website editing as opposed to distinguishing between what's
on your hard disk and what's on the Internet." Jakob Nielsen, usability
expert.
This is what we've been working on in 1999, now it's ready for the people.
The first official UserLand press release since 1993 will run over the PR
Newswire in a half hour. We're also making an announcement with Microsoft,
probably later today, in XML-based distributed computing protocols.
We've been in a quiet period, doing lots of development. The rest of this
year will be spent releasing all this new software, lots of firsts for us,
and some for the web itself. You'll probably be hearing a lot more from us
in the final weeks of this millennium.
Let's have fun!

© 1997-1999 UserLand Software, Inc. How to: unsubscribe.