[Zope] Problems running 2.1.0 final

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:46:00 -0600

"David C. Morrill" <dmorrill@austin.rr.com> wrote,

> I just downloaded and expanded the Zope-2.1.0 final .tgz file and have run
> into the following problem:
>
> 1) When I attempted to run './install', nothing happened. Further
> investigation revealed that the version of python shipped with 2.1.0 was
> generating a 'segmentation fault'.
>
> 2) I replaced the 2.1.0 version of python with the 2.0.1 version and
> successfully completed the installation.
>
> 3) When I attempted to './start' the new 2.1.0 version of Zope, I got the
> following error (after a traceback):
>    ImportError: /home/webuser/Zope-2.1.0/lib/python/ZODB/cPersistence.so:
> undefined symbol: __bzero
>
> 4) Presumably this is due to reverting to the old 2.0.1 version of python.
> Restoring the 2.1.0 version results in the 'segmentation fault' again.
>
> BTW, my linux box is running RedHat 5.2. Is this some kind of a library
> mismatch problem? I didn't see anything in the README about a new version
> of python being used.
>
> Anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how I can get 2.1.0 running?

I have the same trouble trying to install the XMLDocument product.  My guess is
that somebody upgraded to a glibc2.1 system (e.g., RH 6.0) and built the Linux
binaries (the .so files) there.  What is especially irritating is that the
undefined symbol, __bzero(), is an ancient and deprecated BSDism -- I remember
wondering, "why didn't they use memset()" when I first ran across bzero() years
back (of course, BSD didn't HAVE memset() when they published their TCP stack c.
1984, but that is another story).

Can someone at DC please suggest a workaround?  I don't see any use of bzero()
in the XMLDocument source, for instance, so perhaps I just need to rebuild from
source?

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com