[Zope] HR Department Org Chart

rgines@purina.com rgines@purina.com
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:44:47 -0600

>> I am getting ready to build an Organizational Chart 'product' within
Zope.

>Where does this information reside now? That would dictate what approach
you
>take. I once did something similar for a company where the data resided in
>an ldap db, but it was far too slow to recursively query in real time so I
>had to dump it to a relation db every night which I could query quickly.

For the primary client that I am working with, the bulk of the information
that we are going to put in here does not really exist in any location yet.

I'm deciding to make this a product because I have some plans to
use this in a couple of sites which don't exist anywhere other than my
mind right now <g>

>Anyway, once a person logs on and you know their unique identifier, you
>should be able to query the datasource to see where they sit in the
>hierarchy when trying to edit another user. Just a thought.

Given that I plan on keeping this stuff in ZODB instead of an
external RDBMS, I'm not clear on how you find an object when going 'down'
a tree.