[Zope] standard_html_header difficulties - a dead-end ?

Darcy Clark darcyc@engin.umich.edu
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 11:08:57 -0500

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Darcy Clark <darcyc@engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > What I want to do seems like it should be simple, but from my
> > newbie/non-Zen/still-confused-by-acquisition perspective I am stumped.
> >
> > I have a standard_html_header in / folder :
> >
> > <HTML>
> > <HEAD>
> >    <TITLE>
> >      <!--#var title_or_id-->
> >    </TITLE>
> > </HEAD>
> >
> > <BODY>
> >
> > In the /mse250 folder, I have a method index_html with title="The MSE250
> > Homepage" as follows :
> >
> > <!--#var standard_html_header-->
> >
> > <H2><!--#var document_title--></H2>
> >
> > blah, blah, blah ....
> >
> > What I want to do is have my standard_html_header file use <!--#var
> > document_title--> (i.e. "The MSE250 Homepage") instead of the root
> > folder <!--#var title_or_id--> (i.e. MSE250)  between the    <TITLE>
> > </TITLE> tags. This seems like a logical thing to want to do - to cut
> > down on the amount of repetitive code by using a standard header, but at
> > the same time, having the header change depending on what method is
> > calling it.
>
> DTML Documents and Methods have a property, document_title, which gives what you
> want.

unfortunately I don't think this works....if the standard_html_header is
'inserted' into my mse250/index_html with the statement "<!--#var
document_title-->", it unfortunately doesn't 'acquire' the
document_title of the mse250/index_html method, but rather uses it's own
document_title (in my case "standard_html_header").

As I said earlier, it seems to be something that should be necessary for
a great many websites - i.e. to have isolate the header for re-use
through the site, but have it access/acquire the properties of the
method that 'calls' it .... I cannot believe that this is not possible
with Zope.

Darcy

> Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
> Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com

Ph: (734) 764 3377
Email: darcyc@engin.umich.edu
'If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate'
..... Steven Wright