[Zope] Zope 2.1 on NT with Apache

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:26:52 +0100

Hi there,

I'm having trouble configuring Zope 2.1 to work with Apache on Windows
NT. The last time I've installed a Zope on NT was with the 1.x branch,
and I got the whole Apache/rewriterule business setup then. This time
however it seems to have become more difficult again.

I figured I should use the PCGI option (with ZServer). This because PCGI
worked last time, and because I couldn't find any FastCGI precompiled
module for Apache.

Problem 1:

* It is claimed in doc/WEBSERVER.TXT that my Zope install should've come
with a Zope.cgi file. I can't find any such file, however. That file
needs to be placed in the cgi-bin directly and in the Zope directory, so
I need it. :)

Problem 2:

* Even if I did have a Zope.cgi file I fail to see how to configure Zope
to use it. WEBSERVER.TXT tells me what command line options to use, but
I'm running Zope as a NT service. How to pass command line options to
that?

Problem 3:

When I put in a (modified) Zope.cgi from my Linux box just to see if
it'd work, I ran into odd behavior by Zope. When I restarted the Zope
service, it (or Python, at least from what I could see) would start
using a lot of CPU resources for apparently nothing at all, slowing the
entire machine down to a crawl. Shutting down the Zope service and
removing the Zope.cgi file fixes that problem. So even if I have a
Zope.cgi file, it doesn't seem to work properly.

It might be that running Zope over PCGI with Apache on NT is an odd
setup, and I wish I could use Linux, but I also think the WEBSERVER.TXT
file is currently lacking in NT specific explanations. At least I can't
figure it out at all. And is it a bug that Zope.cgi is missing from Zope
2.1's Windows install (it is there in the linux install). Did anybody
have any more luck?

Regards,

Martijn