[Zope] Zope stability

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:47:41 -0500

The Zope debugger (based on the python debugger) works quite well I
think.  There is a howto on it somewhere...

> I've just
> downloaded
> DDD & pydb to give them a try

DDD and idle could be cool options, but someone needs to take the time
to integrate them with Zope, I've never gotten either to work well
debugging Zope.

> but I am interested in using
> ZMonitor (not
> much docs about it
> or did I miss something?)

It is useful for debugging, but not stepping into or over code, or
setting breakpoints, or all that jazz.  if you said:

import pdb
pdb.set_trace()

in the monitor, then the Zope process would jump into the debugger *but
on the controlling terminal* not the monitor client (your monitor
sessions would be locked out) If Zope has detached from its terminal,
then it would just hang waiting on input it will never get.

> btw, How exactly is MrCreosete (spl?) working and how can it be used?

Mr. Creosote allows you to use python code to 'spew' messages to a
simple UDP server running somewhere.  This way in your code you can dump
data for logging and debugging:

  if foobar:
    spew('Everything is foobar!')

This shows up on the other end of Mr. Creosote.

> > Second, ppl must undestand that they are using a *free*
> product. Guys @
> DC are
> not committed in any way to solve in real time our problems (just read
> the disclamer).
> Still it would be ``cool'' to be aware in time of any
> weirdness we might
> encounter
> before going online with our brand new Zope server full of
> products and
> stuff.

Yeah it would be cool if we were aware of it too! ;)

> Also I have a feeling DC is not soo happy to keep an online hot update
> of bugs and
> instability issues when these might compromise it to commercial
> parteners.

Hmm.. I don't know of any bug that would compromise a customer, we can
allways state them in anonymous terms.  But when we find bugs that hurt
our customers, we fix them right away, so there is not much point in a
public display of them because they are allready fixed, there is not
much value earned in this.  Further, you can track the CVS login
messages mailing list of you want the blow by blow description of every
bug fix checked in (http://www.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-checkins)

> So they would
> first like to have an inner look @ problems then announce the Zope
> comunity.
> But from our point of view, we want to know everything :-)

It's all out there man.

-Michel