[Zope] WebDav wishful thinking WEBCR ideas.questions

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:11:03 +0100

At 10:44 06/12/99 -0500, Brian Lloyd wrote:
>> I confess I don't understand this WebDav stuff yet. But
[snipp snip]

>WebDAV really doesn't have anything to do with those sort of
>things - it is really a "content management protocol" in that
>it lets you treat certain Zope objects as if they were files
>on a remote filesystem from a WebDAV-enabled client. It doesn't
>really have anything to do with the sort of visual page building
>ideas you are asking about. You can find out more about what DAV
>is and is not from www.webdav.org.

Thanks. helpful

A quote from http://www.rediff.com/computer/1999/sep/29carl.htm

"I cannot see languages like C++, Java, or PERL taking us to the stars.
Object-oriented programming is not the answer. I can truly say this because
I've been involved in object-oriented programming since the beginning. It
does not increase productivity. It does not give better results. The answer
to our problems rests in the natural characteristics of language and
expression, not in objects."

..I think I just got a healthy mental kick in the right dirction by looking
at the Rebol site http://www.rebol.com

For example looking at http://www.rebol.com/examples.html

item #1 Fetch a web page and send it as email. [1 line Rebol script]
"send luke@rebol.com read http://www.rebol.com"

What would it take to integrate this kind of proweful clarity into Zope.DTML ?

How could Zope use Rebol or a rebol-like python external method to best
effect?
any ideas?

- Jason

Jason Cunliffe  <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com>