[Zope] Zope 2.1 does NOT work with NT Apache!

Rik Hoekstra RikHoekstra@bigfoot.com
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 17:42:57 +0100

> I apologize for writing such a strong title, but I can't get Zope 2.1 to
> work with NT Apache at all, and my previous message (more extensive)
> describing my problems went unanswered. I realize installation issues
> are an impopular topic.
>
> The binary distributation is insufficient, because no Zope.cgi is
> included.

Yes, you're right.
You have to get a Zope.cgi from a non-binary distribution, I'm afraid. Why
this is, I cannot tell. It worked under IIS.
I have no experience with apache, but I do have with setting up Zope (2.0.1,
but it should be the same) under IIS. Probably IIS is (even) more tricky,
but the service and pcgi part should be the same

> The documention is insufficient, because it is unix-specific; it talks
> about passing command line options to Zope, but Zope on NT can be ran as
> a Service, and how to pass command line options then?

Um, you;ll have to hack the registry for that. Look in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
                     <Service Name>\Parameters\start

To get pcgi working for IIS you have to add '-p X:\IIS\CGI-BIN\zope.pcgi'

If I understood it rightly, the service is more or less responding to the
same commandline options as z2.py (in fact it is just another way to start
up z2.py).

> There may be a bug, as a manually constructed Zope.cgi makes the Zope
> installation 'spin'.

You might want to use the utilities in the pcgi directory for checking your
pcgi setup against pcgifile.py.
Check out <zope-home>pcgi\win32\README.NT for (some) more information.

> See my previous mail to this list for more information.
>
> I can't get it to work at all, and I need to get it to work within the
> week. Any help would be appreciated.

I suppose Kamon Ayeva's draft on win32 installation could help you out at
least for a part, or did you already consult that (even though it is mostly
about IIS)? see
http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zdp/1999-October/000830.html

good luck

Rik