[Zope] Zope stability

Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:58:02 +1100

>>> "Alexander Limi" wrote
> This is indeed a very scary thought - we initially chose to go for Zope for
> exactly those reasons, that we could manipulate it "live" and work in
> versions which are then committed. It is thus critical the we shouldn't be
> able to bring the site down by doing things in Zope at the same time as it
> is online. Comments?

While this is all well and good, I've found it _very_ easy to lose track
of whether you're in a version or not. What we do now is have a local
development Zope server, which we beat up on and make all sorts of changes
to. When these are stable, we then scp the Data.fs file over to the production
server.

To be fair, the main reason that we do this is that the development server
is on a local ethernet, while the production ones are on the other side of
the pacific ocean - the network lag really really bites.

There's also (I'm convinced) a problem somewhere in the Oracle DA's
error handling that can lead to crashes - since the development server
is where we get the SQL errors, this is a good thing to have off the
production system.

(Anyone know of a Purify for linux? something that can deal with
vendor-supplied libraries...)

Anthony