[Zope] Philosophical question - Zope Objects vs Entities in a RDBMS

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 20:05:52 -0700

Thilo Mezger wrote:

> Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com> wrote:
>
> >> Q4. I think I remember seeing a post about the Zope database being a
> >> single large file posing problems with the Linux filesystem.. or was
> >> that the windows filesystem.. if so then that could limit Zope's
> >> potential in a commercial production enviroment, surely ?? If this is
> >> true what have people done to try and get around this, ie archiving
> >> objects (however that could occur) etc.. ?
>
> > Zope stores its objects in one file.  Linux  on 32 bit systems has a 2GB
> > file size limiation.
>
> AFAIK, linux on 64bit systems are also limited to 2GB.

False. What is actually the limit is the 32VFS onx86 Linux.
64Bit systems, such as Alpha do not suffer from the limit.

> but you can always switch to e.g. free-bsd if you need bigger files.
> free-bsd is as free as linux, runs python and zope, and supports files
> up to a size of, er, some tera-bytes...

There is also the LFS (linux Filesystems Summit) patch that makes the
limit somewhere in the terabytes for x86 Linux.

Bill

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.