[Zope] using CVS for Zope object stores?

Guido A.J. Stevens gyst@nfg.nl
13 Dec 1999 20:57:31 +0100

@nfg.nl, we're running a distributed authoring/testing setup in which
everybody has their own local server and website instances. We each
commit our work to the central cvs repository as it suits us, and
update the public production instance of a site from the cvs
repository.

While this procedure can be used for jointly developing external
python methods and products for zope, we desperately need a way to
integrate the work that's being done on the object store, through the
management interface (and some custom scripts). Right now all we can
do is export/import from eachother's servers, and that just doesn't
cut it. We need conflict resolution instead of overwriting a whole
object tree. We need small, fast patches instead of massive file
transfers. We need change logging.

In short, we crave for a way to use cvs on Zope object stores.

Has anybody been working on this? Has anybody come up with a more
intelligent approach than diffing and patching wholesale xml exports?
Do we need to wait for a different (non-monolithic) filestorage
backend - is anybody working on /that/?

Or did I just overlook some great feature somewhere? - that's what
makes Zope so exciting, isn't it; a steep learning curve but lots of
unexpected gold nuggets along the way. Just haven't found this one
yet.

:*CU#
--
***    Guido A.J. Stevens      ***    mailto:gyst@nfg.nl    ***
***    Net Facilities Group    ***    tel:+31.43.3618933    ***

What is the most effective Windows NT remote management tool?
A car.                               [ISBN 0-7357-0868-1, p.35]