[Zope] Multiple Zope servers?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:18:16 PST

From: "Jeff K. Hoffman" <jkhoffman@carolina.rr.com>
>Check out:
>
>   http://www.digicool.com/Solutions/ZEOFactSheet.pdf
>
>Short story:
>
>Yes, you can do this with the ZEO add-on ($$) from DC. It pulls ZODB out
>into a separate process, potentially running on a separate machine, which
>handles all object storage for one or more Zope instances. In this way,
>you can scale Zope exactly as you desire.
>
>--Jeff

Wow, the ($$) part makes me think twice. I'd like to
explore a bit more... it's a scary thought to set up
a website only to find that it gets choked even with
moderate hit rate. Does anyone know any simpler tricks
to improve performance for the interim period, so to
make things more or less scalable when going from
one processor to two or three? Of course, when the
website is served by 5 processors, probably ZEO
would make sense.

Any comments would be appreciated.

regards,

Hung Jung

PS- perhaps the thing to do is to separate web
presentation data (like DTML, etc.) from the
enterprise data (user info, product catalogs, etc.),
and use ZODB only for the presentation data,
while using an external database for the enterprise
data. This way, I could run several copies of Zope,
all accessing the same database server. That is,
essentially make the ZODB read-only. And ZODB is
changed only when changing the whole website's
presentation. I think can live with that. :)

Sorry for thinking aloud... :)