[Zope] zope da's

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:31:03 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, George Runyan wrote:

> why does zope use specific DA's instead of a common bridge like JDBC? I was

JDBC is a common API, which requires JDBC drivers to work.

ZSQL is a common API, which requires Zope DA's to work.

It would be nice to have a Python DBI 2.0 (with Zope DA extensions) -> JDBC
bridge simply as it would give access to more database backends and be
crossplatform in a way that ODBC isn't. The most complex part would be
learning how to write a DA... and finding someone with the time who
isn't happy with the existing DA's :-)

Hmm... I wonder if DC would be happy sacrificing a bit of performance
for never having to write another DA again?

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au