[Zope] uses, roles and groups

Oliver Frommel oliver@aec.at
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:56:41 +0100 (CET)

> > ..
> > an editor role) dependent on the user belonging to a certain group.
> > AFAIK none of the products USerDB, GUF oder etcUserFolder provides hooks for
> > this.
>
> A role *is* a group. You grant arbitrary priviledges to a role, and all
> users with that role (members of that group) will also get those privs.

well, in principle it isn't I think. However you sure can use roles for
emulating some kind of group paradigm. Having a group e.g. for certain
folders would not need more than one role for all of them.

If I try what you suggest, what's a good way to create a new role when I
create a new subfolder? e.g. I have a DTML method for creating new
departments' folders, therefor I need to create a new group for each of those
with the same set of permissions ..

thanks
Oliver