[Zope] Linux/Redhat advice : RPMs vs Src for Zope development ?

- bak@nstp.com.my
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 09:13:47 +0800

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> > my view:
> > rpms provide better management.  you can install and uninstall with ease.  and
> > i think most rpms come with all/most parameters compiled in.
>
> My preference is almost always source.  I don't however like the mess of just
> installing whatever all into /usr/local.  What i've been using is stow
> (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/stow), which allows me to install each package i compile
> into a structure like /usr/local/stow/packagename, and then it sym links it
> into the /usr/local tree, meaning that everything works the same, but i can
> now uninstall or temp uninstall on the fly, i can find which package a file
> came from or which files a package came with, and i can move stuff off to
> other file systems if i get tight on space.  Very sweet!

true.  as someone has mentioned eralier, there's also src rpm; which totally
slipped my mind (maybe not enought food that day).

so, you get both management and binary for *your* machine.

all in all, either rpms or tar ball - both depends on our preference.

http://www.kedai.com.my/kk
Am I Evil?