[Zope] mems-exchange.org Zope work

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:13:20 -0500

Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> We went live with some revisions to our Web site last Saturday, and
> some of them will be of interest to Zopeheads.  The most significant
> new feature is a new version of the Sequence Builder, which is at:
>
>     http://www.mems-exchange.org/z/process/builder/

Pretty cool!!  I can't believe you are still using that tired old
Magnetron Sputtering technique -- if you would fix the thing it wouldn't
sputter.  :^)

<snip>

> Doing a Web-based user interface for this sort of thing is hard, and

I agree -- one idea would be to do something like Netscape did (does?)
with their Certificate Server.  Configuration of this thing is hard even
if you're familiar with cryptography (which I know you are :^) and
probably impossible (without luck) if you aren't.

They use a vertically-oriented frames interface where the left frame
gives you a list of the steps in the process.  The current step is
highlighted.  The right frame is where you actually perform the current
step.  It looks like these devices are built like sandwiches (how's that
for a high-tech metaphor).  Knowing what the sandwich looks like at all
times (i.e., by viewing it in a separate frame) might be handy. (??)

--Rob