[Zope] RH 6.1 APXS bug (Was Re: [Zope] Call for FastCGI problems)

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 17:03:25 -0800

[Amos Latteier, on Tue, 28 Dec 1999]

:: Here's you chance to complain. Please file your bug report now with as
:: much information as possible. The more you can tell me, the better the
:: chances that I'll be able to fix your problem.
::
::   http://classic.zope.org:8080/Collector

This isn't a Zope bug and so probably doesn't belong in The Collector,
but may have a bearing on some of the FastCGI problems being reported.

RedHat just announced an apxs bug fix for 6.1 relating to problems
building modules with DSOs, (see below).

Some recent Zope/FastCGI problems have centered around RH 6.1; perhaps
this has a bearing on it. Presumably most people would use the RH
apxs.

Red Hat, Inc. Bug Fix Advisory

Synopsis:           Apache bugfix release available for Red Hat Linux 6.1
Advisory ID:        RHBA-1999:062-01
Issue date:         1999-12-30
Updated on:         1999-12-30
Cross references:   N-A

1. Topic:

A bugfix release of Apache is available which corrects problems with
httpd.conf default values, fixes building third party modules with
apxs, and performs other general cleanups.  Anyone who has had
problems building third party modules is encouraged to upgrade.

2. Relevant releases/architectures:

Red Hat Linux 6.x - intel alpha sparc

3. Problem description:

APXS-- the utility used for building apache modules as DSOs-- had
problems as shipped in 6.1.  In addition, we intended to ship a
unified httpd.conf default configuration file with our apache included
in Red Hat Linux 6.1, but this did not make it into the final release;
this has been corrected.  The apache manual is now a subpackage in its
own right, so you may choose to install it or leave it out if you
wish.  The logrotate script complained if httpd was not running, and
this has been fixed. suexec is no longer suid by default, and while no
security hole in suexec has been identified, it was determined that it
was safer to leave this choice up to the system administrator.