[Zope] Tree Tag Options

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:41:22 -0800

Pavlos Christoforou wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Amos Latteier wrote:
>
> >     def tpURL(self):
> >         """Return string to be used as URL relative to parent.
> >         The tree tag accumulates the tpURL of objects as it
> >         traverses the tree. At any given point during dtml
> >         rendering within the tree tag, you can use::
> >         <!--#var tree-item-url-->
> >         to get the url up to the point of the current object
> >         being rendered.
> >         """
>
> I had the same problem with Michael in designing a global navigation side
> margin. If the tree tag is used in a different frame like the Zope
> management screens then all is well, because the frame always refers to
> the same URL. <STUFF DELETED>....which computed
> and set the absolute URL of any object added in that folder. It was easy
> then to construct Global navigation aids, but with Zope I can not see a
> simple clean way of doing it unless someone uses ZClient to call the
> relevant method.

I haven't addressed the absolute URL problem since it was covered in a
this for those of you who hadn't seen the previous thread:

On Dec. 8th 1998 Jim Fulton said:

>   I'm going to try to respond to the entire thread at once by simply stating
>   my position on how this should work.  Here goes:
>
>   1. Images, and perhaps all objects, should have a method named something
>   like absoluteURL, that returns some kind of absolute URL.
>   <STUFF DELETED>
>   2. The str for an image will use absoluteURL and will use size
>   methods too, if there every are any.
>
>   3. There may be lots of other image methods that could be used
>   with fmt, as in:
>
>   <!--#var "images.logo" fmt="relative"-->
>
>   Jim

I take this to mean that if 'context' and 'absoluteURL' are both added
to Zope, flexible global navigation of the sort we've been discussing
will become possible.

Michael.