[Zope] Tree Tag Options

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:58:12 -0500

Pavlos Christoforou wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Amos Latteier wrote:
>
> >     def tpURL(self):
> >         """Return string to be used as URL relative to parent.
> >         The tree tag accumulates the tpURL of objects as it
> >         traverses the tree. At any given point during dtml
> >         rendering within the tree tag, you can use::
> >         <!--#var tree-item-url-->
> >         to get the url up to the point of the current object
> >         being rendered.
> >         """
>
> I had the same problem with Michael in designing a global navigation side
> margin. If the tree tag is used in a different frame like the Zope
> management screens then all is well, because the frame always refers to
> the same URL. If however one decides to use tables to create the
> global side margin then  the context in which the global side margin
> method is called becomes important.

So what?  Should relative URLs still be correct? I guess that what
you want is absolute URLs that (mostly) don't depend on context.

> Before Pricipia was open sourced my
> TinyZope module had a similar BaseClass to Zope's Folder which computed
> and set the absolute URL of any object added in that folder. It was easy
> then to construct Global navigation aids, but with Zope I can not see a
> simple clean way of doing it unless someone uses ZClient to call the
> relevant method.

I'm not sure what ZClient has to do with it.

I guess you want a navigation bar in a standard header
or footer that provides absolute URL to some standard places
that don't depend on where you are. Right?  I think that
the 1.10 absolute URL machinery (absolute_url method
defined in SimpleItem.Item and therefore in all framework
objects) should make this alot easier.  We'll put together a
demonstration of this.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.