[Zope] Re: PDF needs ExternalFile Object with byte-range capability?

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:02:38 -0400

On 3 Feb 99, at 13:40, Scott Robertson wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, what would byte ranging buy you? Do some clients
> > request ranges?  I think I read about this in the HTTP 1.1 spec...
> >

> Byte serving in this instance would allow the PDF plugin to grab page 33
> out of a 300 page PDF without downloading the whole file.

Exactly!

I'll have dial-up users wanting to view my 2 megabyte .pdf file. They can
immediately begin viewing the first page if I supported byte ranges...
Otherwise the entire document must download first.

Should byte-ranges go into the file object, or be up at the server level? It
really only applies to certain content types..

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               ICQ: 14856937

We must come down from our heights, and leave our straight
paths, for the byways and low places of life, if we would
learn truths by strong contrasts; and in hovels, in forecastles,
and among our own outcasts in foreign lands, see what has been
wrought upon our fellow-creatures by accident, hardship, or vice.
- Richard Henry Dana, Jr. 1836