[Zope] problems building on AIX

Roman Milner rmilner@dev.tivoli.com
04 Feb 1999 11:36:09 -0600

I tried to build Zope on AIX and gave up pretty quickly.  All of the
dynamic extensions fail - it looks like for the following reasons.

It tries to use './ld_so_aix' as the linker - this is a script that
comes with the python source kit but doesn't get installed and
obviously doesn't exist in dot.

I changed the makefile so it could find ld_so_aix but now it fails
because in each dir with a dynamic extension it is looking for a file
called ./python.exp - which is a some file needed to build dynamic
libs on aix that is generated by running makexp_aix (another script
shipped with the python source kit) on each .o file (which seems to
pretty much just run 'nm' on the object files.)

Is there a way I can have the build process make static extension and
just create a new python - like Zpython or something?

Anyway, I copied most of the extensions into the python source tree
and rebuilt it - but the zope build process fails because it tries to
build the extensions anyway.  So, I just tried to run it - and I get