[Zope] DTML calendar widget

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 11:53:03 -0800

Kent Polk wrote:

> > From: Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com>
> >
> > Ty Sarna wrote:
> > >         <!--#var standard_html_header-->
> > >          <!--#calendar-->
> > >           <!--#var "_.string.upper(mode[0])"-->:
> > >           <!--#var date fmt=Date-->
> > >          <!--#/calendar-->
> > >         <!--#var standard_html_footer-->
> >
> > I'd like to put this in Zone.  Do you have any plans for expansion?
>

> My suggestions were to provide a mechanism for managing a calendar
> 'wrapper' which could hold or reference other objects.  I.e. you
> could either drop other Zope objects into a date or point at them
> somehow. Ty came up with the dtml extension to manage the calendar
> but we aren't quite sure how to hook things into it.  Were hoping
> to get some suggestions.
>
> Also there's the question of 'look'. How much flexibility is needed
> in customizing the 'look' of the calendar? Is it just easier to take
> an example and write your own or is it worth it to try to build an
> editable folderish calendar product?
<STUFF DELETED>
> So please give Ty some more ideas for this calendar thingy!
> How would you use it? what sorts of things would you want it
> to contain?

I would reccomend taking a look at the following URLs:
http://www.geonorth.com/geocalendar/
http://www.when.com
http://www.planetall.com

I would love to be able to add events that could be personalized by
filtering for category and/or geographical proximity, as well as letting
end-users create and manage shared/group calendars with submission,
editing and viewing permissions.

Clicking on a particular day should bring up the day-mode, and I suppose
you could do something similar for the week-mode.

It should be possible to click on a link to see a more detailed listing
for an event. This might actually involve creating a separate 'Event'
product/class/lever/whatzit and dropping it in, although I'm not sure
how you would create events that spanned several dates.

Hope these ideas help,

Michael Bernstein.