[Zope] Zope on the Mac

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:39:46 -0500

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 11:22:10PM -0600, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> >Actually, I've been thinking about how to make Python Carbon-based so it
> >runs on MacOS X (until then it's just not "ready for prime time"), and
> >which time this hsould be a lot easier :-)
>
> That would be mega-cool. MacOS X Server would probably be excellent for
> Zope. MacOS X is still a ways off. :(
> However, it would be nice to have something available for development purposes.

I've got Python working (as well as Zope) on my NeXT cube at home, but
it's running a slightly old release of OpenStep... also, it's 68K v.
PPC.  If someone has a MacOS X Server box they wanna loan me ;-)  I just
can't justify being on the developer program right now to get free
copies, and the retail cost is a bit high for my home use :-) Plus I
don't have a PowerMac it can run on (I have a hopped up 8100 w/G3).

> >I'm sure it's sarcasm on Paul's part ;-)  Of course there's no
> >os.system() function... there's no "command line" to pass it to :-)
>
> You're right. I imagine he was. :)
> I wasn't thinking anyway. Looking at os.py doesn't include all of the
> attributes available. Doing dir(os) was what I meant to do. :)

There has been talk, however, of making Python OSA-aware so that it can
be used as THE scripting language on MacOS... but I've held off on doing
anything about this until I better understand the scripting architecture
of MacOS X---as there's talk that WebObjects will also plug in, which
might necessitate major changes.

Chris