[Zope] Better Memeory Management Feature Request

Scott Robertson sroberts@codeit.com
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:13:40 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> Unless it's considered proprietary, I'd be curious to know what the
> resident size of the Zope process for Zope.org is (or is that the
> one that was shooting up to 18MB?) This is just kind of a reference point,
> because I have seen the kind and quantity of things on that site.
>
> Also, pardon my naivete on this one, but: RAM is relatively cheap these
> days. Even PCs can be considered relatively cheap these days. If,
> to cover the cost of having a 10-12MB process resident in memory, I had
> to pay a $100 startup fee or some such, I would probably do so. After
> paying that fee, though, I would expect to pay the same as any other
> hosting customer.
>
> Feel free to let me know if I'm way off base :)

You are very correct. That's why are first Zope Virtual Hosting Machine
will have between .5GB-1GB of memory to start with. But it only took me 5
minutes to get the process to swell up to 18MB. That means some
industrious/mallicious user could conceivably swell theirs up to 100MB
even the full GB and then nobody else would get to play.

- Scott Robertson             Phone: 714.972.2299 -
- CodeIt Computing            Fax:   714.972.2399 -
-                http://codeit.com                -