[Zope] Better Memeory Management Feature Request

Scott Robertson sroberts@codeit.com
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:11:58 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> Thinking a bit more about this, I guess the problem is
> that each virtual interface on the machine; which is the
> typical method to do multihosting, must go through its
> own RewriteRule thus leading to it's own Zope process.

The reason we decided to launch multiple process is so that we wouldn't
compound the blocking issue that occurs when multiple requests come in at
the same time. I'd love to have only one server handle all this. Or even
better have it behave like apache where I can launch 10 servers and have
it serve information from 100 DBs.

> Perhaps we can solve the problem a bit with ZServer,
> maybe different Medusa interfaces could hook into
> different branches of the same Zope Module, and all
> of those interfaces then funnelling into the same
> database.  This is obviously not a rigorous examination.

I want them in seperate DBs. The DB is where most of the concurentcey
issues are, correct?

> Paul and I would like to do a rigorous examination of the
> memory fluctuations that the zope.org python process goes
> through throughout the day.  Paul told the list that it was
> 21.4 meg this morning (8am) I told the list that it was
> 19 some meg a couple hours later, a half hour ago it was
> at 28(!) meg, and now it's at 31.
>
> So all you Linux fellows out there need to suggest a good way
> for us to track this on a regular basis.  We propose a cron
> job sniffs the /proc filesystem.  What kind of information do
> *you* want to see in this study?  *Scripts welcome*

What files report information under /proc? If you receive any of these
scripts please pass them on to me. I think we will create a few beta sites
for anybody interested on the list  and then monitor their usage.

- Scott Robertson             Phone: 714.972.2299 -
- CodeIt Computing            Fax:   714.972.2399 -
-                http://codeit.com                -