[Zope] Shattered dreams...

Shaw, Howard ShawH@STHS.org
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:41:57 -0600

	----------
	From:  Jim Fulton [SMTP:jim.fulton@digicool.com]
	Sent:  Friday, February 12, 1999 4:57 PM
	To:  Shaw, Howard
	Cc:  support@digicool.com
	Subject:  Re: [Zope] Shattered dreams...

	"Shaw, Howard" wrote:

	> I just finished implementing a complete rewrite a dynamic
database
	> driven set of web pages inside a session.
	>
	> I saved the changes to the session, and quit the session. I
immediately
	> noticed that none of my changes were present. I reopened the
session,
	> and all the changes reappeared, but the option to save the
session is
	> absent.
	>
	> Disturbed, I thought it might be some quirk of Netscape
caching, so I
	> cleared the caches, exited netscape, and reentered.
	>
	> Now, I can reenter the session at will, but there are no
changes between
	> being in the session and being out of the session, and all my
work is
	> gone, as far as I can tell.
	>
	> A notion of what I did wrong, what happened, and whether there
is
	> anything I can do to recover this work would be greatly
appreciated.

	Hi Howard,

	I know you have been exchanging mail with Mike.  I'd
	like to ask some additional questions.

	Is Zope installed on a local file system? NFS?

	Zope is installed on the local filesystem.

	Have you just started using Zope?  Or have you been using
	Zope for a while without problems?

	I started using Zope fairly recently, and had only gone so far
as to
	make it a mirror of my pre-existing site using fsimport.

	Can you take MySQL out of this mix for a while to see if it has
any
	effect? Are there any other products installed that are not
	part of the Zope distribution?

	I can say that having just reinstalled the zope binary distro, I
saw no
	regular stoppage of the zope server until after I reinstalled
the ZMySQLDA
	and connected to the database. I have not manually installed any
other products,
	though I did install the external method 'fsimport'.

	Are you running on your own machine, or on an ISP?

	This is running on a linux box in my care at my work.

	Are you using PCGI and Apache? Or ZopeHTTPServer?

	I am using ZopeHTTPServer, however, Apache is also running on
the same
	machine, serving a web site containing, amongst other things, a
PHP3 based
	database front end that also connects to MySQL, though to a
different database.

	It would also be interesting to us to see your database files.
	Would you mind sending them to us (as an attached gzipped
	tar ball or Zip file)?

	I assume you mean the Data.BBB* files. Do you want the files
from the current
working setup (which is exhibiting the recurrent loss of Zope with no
messages)
or the non-working Data.BBB, or both? I assume you don't want these
mailed to
the list; should I send them to your personal account?

	The problems you are reporting are very odd.  Needless to say,
	we don't see them here, so any info you give would be very
	helpfull.

	Please feel free to call me at the number below if you're
	interested in brainstorming this.

	I am very interested in determining the cause of and solution
for this problem, especially
	since it was, in my opinion, related to the recurrent death of
the ZopeHTTPServer,
	which has returned. Since I believe it to be only a matter of
time until it dies again, I am
	keeping multiple backups of the Data.BBB* files. Are there any
other data files I should
	be aware of, for purposes of backup, or do the Data.BBB files
cover it?

	Jim

	Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!
	Digital Creations    http://www.digicool.com
http://www.python.org

	Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B) This
email
	permission.  Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM
will
	result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500
for
	repeats.