[Zope] Getting started questions...

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:58:43 -0500

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 01:28:16PM -0800, James A. Hillyerd wrote:
> The project has an interesting requirement, and I'm not sure how to
> accomplish it using the Zope Platform.  I need to be able to package up
> the project and distribute it to multiple web servers automatically.  If I
> did this project using cgi/perl and html I would probably just tar
> everything up and put it on an ftp server, which the other servers could
> check daily and update their code/html when a new tarball was available.

Hmm... [ignores what he reads later] if everything is in the object
datbase, then you can simply move the object database :-)  AT least this
works in theory <wink>  I've done it a few dozen times without problems,
but that doesn't mean it wouldn't break for someone less skilled in the
art of hand-waving.

> How can I do something like this with Zope?  I'd like to keep all my
> dtml/html/python code in normal text files, not in the object database.
> All the application data will be kept in some sort of SQL server, so if I
> can't eliminate the need for the object database entirely it would make my
> life easier.  From what I've read on zope.org it sounds like I want Bobo,
> without Principia.

Well, certainly if you plan to keep NOTHING in the object datbase this
might be good, but don't know (BTW, Bobo is now called ZPublisher :-).
You should look into the SQLMethods side fo the house (ZSQLAdapter or
some such), which allows for some really elegant access to a relational
model.  This would let you keep more "static" stuff in the object
database, and everything else in the SQL database as is appropriate for
some projects.

> In other words, I'd like to be able to walk over to a machine with my SQL
> database and apache installed on it and type:
>
>  rpm -i zope-ver.rpm
>  rpm -i zope-pcgi-ver.rpm
>  tar xzf my_project.tgz
>
> Then be able to use my project from a web browser, without having to go in
> and configure it as a product or extention in Zope.

I don't think anything in the web world this "complex" will ever be that
simple... hell, Apache doesn't work THAT easily most of the time.

You need to define what your project is more accurately for it to be
understandable... is it the pages and the SQL queries? Or does it
include the database?

Chris