[Zope] (Fwd) Zope musings

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:52:54 -0500

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 08:29:06AM -0800, Scott Robertson wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Paul Everitt wrote:
> > Last I looked into this, MS provides only binary extensions to integrate
> > with the web server.  It really isn't possible to integrate it into Zope
> > -- it specifically diddles files on the filesystem through a CGI script.
> >

> I thought there were two parts to it? One being slight mods to to the web
> server and the other was a set of cgi scripts. Dosen't Microsoft give
> those extensions away though? Hmmm I wonder how hard they could be to
> reverse engineer.

The point is, they are one more proprietary system... WebDAV *is* where
companies are moving to, even Microsoft has committed to it for the next
release of FrontPage.  The time it would take to reverse engineer FP's
extensions could be better spent making Zope a better WebDAV platform,
in my opinion.  Also, I know a lot of people who won't touch FP, and use
something else---DreamWeaver, or my favorite GoLive CyberStudio, which
has its own set of extensions (though you can run without them too).  Do
we want to support all those too? ;)  This is the point of standards.
I've already been told by the GoLive people that they're planning to
support WebDAV "soon", and probably in the next release due this year.

Chris