[Zope] Zope's Organization for Virtual Servers

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:18:01 -0600

Hello,

I am in the process of working with my webhost on the best way to provide
Zope Hosting in a virtual server environment.

My webhost like many is using Linux and Apache.

I had a thought and a question I wanted to pose.

What would it take to setup Zope in somewhat a similar many to the way
Python is setup for cgi?

What I mean by that is if Zope was setup in a specified location
/usr/bin/Zope or something such. Then in their own directory they have the
products, external methods, /var directory, pcgiinfofiles, etc. All the
items they create and generate which are not a part of the Zope distribution.

This way, when the website is accessed, pcgi would instantiate a new Zope
instance (if necessary) for this specific site and populate it with the
site's files.

This would allow for the webhost to have a single Zope install which could
be forked/instantiated for each site as required.

This would also allow for simplified upgrading of Zope for the webhost and
users. The webhost could install a new Zope in it's own directory,
usr/bin/Zope_1.10.2 and the user would just have to update their
pcgiinfofile to access the new Zope install.

Possibly less things to break when updating. Wouldn't have to
move/copy/backup the /var directory etc. simply to upgrade.

This seams to be simpler on the end user and on the webhost sysadmin.

Of course I may have an over-simplified view of things. :)
Just a thought.

Jimmie Houchin

Now it's time to get into my new book. Learning GNU Emacs. :)