[Zope] ZPublisher/ZTemplate questions

James A. Hillyerd jamesh@altavista.net
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:51:35 -0800 (PST)

Okay, so a couple of people have said that it looks like I want to use
ZPublisher on it's own, instead of the entire Zope setup.  It also looks
like there are a number of other stubborn =) (read: we like things
in files) people out there who are doing the same.

My first question has to do with using templates with ZPublisher:  Will I
still get to use all the nifty "var", "expr" and flow control constructs
in my dtml, or will I be limited because my stuff in not running within
Zope?  Do I need to get the ZTemplate package to do this, or does
ZPublisher have this stuff built in?

Second, where can I get documentation and examples on using ZPublisher and
ZTemplate on their own?

Third:  Will ZPublisher run with the embedded Python/Apache system, or do
I need to use pcgi?

Fourth:  If I want to maintain state/session information inside my code,
which of the above solutions will work better?  I know that Apache
instances only last for N requests, does Python/Apache have a shared
memory system to handle this.  (Sorry if this is off topic, but I figure
someone here must have played with it)

Thanks for all the help, I'm really excited to get started with Python.
ColdFusion is frustrating because it's so limited, and Java Servlets are
frustrating because they are too much work.

-james

[]  James A. Hillyerd <jamesh@altavista.net> Java Developer
[]  HyperGlyphics:  http://www.hyperglyphics.com/
[]  GPG Public Key Fingerprint for 1024D/9F956CDE (Expires 2000-02-01):
[]   C86F B073 92DF 1E24 EF0B  0118 6061 0FEC 9F95 6CDE