[Zope] Backing up Zope's database?

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:46:42 -0500

Martijn wrote:
> * What other options are there? For instance, NT seems to be able to
> copy the var dir just fine, so perhaps a copy could be made that
> Arcserve could backup. Still, that database would be backuped
> while Zope
> is running, so perhaps this isn't a good idea.

Congratulations, you've prompted me to make the world's stupidest
suggestion!

Did any of you folks out there know that the Pack operation makes a
backup copy of your database file?  (Did any of you know there was a
Pack operation? :^)

Anyway, you could automate a pack that says something ridiculous, like
pack anything older then one thousand days.  Pack will create a
Data.bbb.old backup copy of your file before packing.  This Data.bbb.old
will have no processes that have it open so you should be able to back
it up just fine.

Or possibly, none of the above will work and it's total hogwash. :^)

--Paul