[Zope] Splitting the Zope mailling

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:12:26 -0800

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> > Ok, after a bit more thought, I came up with a fourth list:
> > zope-bugs@zope.org
> >
> Bugs should be reported to the Bug Collector, not to a mail list.  I
> think I might understand your reasoning, but it is reasonable enough for
> someone to post a message to the zope@ list to find out if their problem
> is their fault or a bug, and then to report it to the Collector.

Often quite a bit of back and forth discussion is neccessary before a
determination can be made as to whether a particular problem is in fact
a bug. In much the same way as I try to generate a discussiopn on a
proposed feature before actually submitting it to the collector.

In one case, it turned out that what I wanted was possible within
existing dtml, and in the other case, it turned out that what I wanted
is part of Tabula. Therefore, I never submitted it to the collector as a
feature request.

I think the same procedure should apply to bugs, with the caveat that
with features you probably want to expose your idea to as much peer
review as possible, and with bugs, you have a much smaller interested
constituency, and so I think a zope-bugs@zope.org list is called for.

Michael Bernstein.