[Zope] SYN??

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:03:02 -0500

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 08:19:13AM -0600, Shaw, Howard wrote:
> I am getting a curious message in my system logs...
>
> 	Warning: possible SYN flood from 127.0.0.1 on 127.0.0.1:9673.
> Sending cookies.
>
> Is it just me, or does my Linux think Zope is attacking it?

Dear gods, what an idiotic message, a flood on the loopback address :-)
I'd check out the archives for Linux---whatever unknown distribution and
kernel flavour you're running.  But this is just wacky :-)  Maybe no web
server ever ran as fast as medusa to cause this before? :-)

> More importantly, could this possibly be a reason or symptom of these
> slowdowns I have been experiencing? Zope seems marvelously fast most of
> the time, but every now and again, when I click on a link, it slows to a
> crawl for 30 seconds or so before popping back up to full speed!

Not familiar with Linux SYN protection, but in *BSD, *IF* you set it
off, which is nearly impossible to do accidentally, it would give you
this kind of behaviour.  But not for 30 seconds, more like 5?  I'd have
to look at the code.

Chris