[Zope] Summary of my Problems / Solutions upgrading from 1.9 to 2.0

solberg@platinum.com solberg@platinum.com
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:21:38 -0600

Hello,

I thought that a summary might help others that might be running into the same
problem.

The task:  Upgrade my 1.9 test Zope to 1.10 and move it to Apache.

The Problems:
1) I had Apache 1.2.6 and didn't want to lock down the zope.cgi program for
all users.
---  Solved this by upgrading to 1.3.3.  Briefly hit a problem due to not
having the ExecCGI option on the script directory.  Applied the rewrite rule
without much difficulty.  (Hint: Don't get the binary version of apache.  We
needed the source to do the mod_rewrite adjustment.)

2) After having Zope running with the default database, and attempting to
migrate my 1.9 database (I'll discuss this one later), we went home for the
night and came back the next morning.  At this point Zope wouldn't come up
anymore.  We could tell that the machine had been restarted.
---  This one sent us on a wild goose chase.  We tried the suggestions from
Jeff Bauer and setup some pcgi tests.  Unfortunately, all of those tests seem
to refer to cgi_module_publisher or something like that.  The tests all showed
that this module was not found.  Apparently, these tests are all out of date.
The simple solution was to delete the pcgi.* files from the var directory.
This allowed Zope to come back up.  We decided to create a system startup
script that removes these files and also loads a web page using lynx -dump.
This allows us to get the pcgi process started and to test that everything is
working.  I volunteered to have my pager paged when the tests fail.  : (

3) We couldn't get the 1.9 database to work when we tried it in 1.10.  We
followed the instructions on shutting the processes down and copying the
Data.bbb file.  We always got a system error message.
---  Within the source of the message was a traceback to the cPickle program
and something about "G".  Jim Fulton responded to my plea in the mailing list
informing me that I needed to get cPickle enabled for binary floats.  To do
this, we went to the Python Modules directory and edited Setup.  (By the way,
we had just installed 1.5.1 of Python from Python.org.)  In Setup, near the
bottom, there is a line for cPickle.  We added the -DFORMAT_1_3 to this line
and rebuilt Python (make clean, make, make install, make test).  After this
our 1.9 database worked with our new 1.10 install.  Thanks a bunch to Jim.

I hope this helps out.

Good Luck and thanks for all the great support,
John Solberg