[Zope] [UNIX INSTALL] ZopeHTTPserver/Zserver questions

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:58:39 -0500

Philip wrote:
> I am very confused. I understand that Zserver is a new and
> improved server
> but ZopeHTTPserver comes with the distribution (including
> 1.10.2). Also,
> threads are off by default (with ZopeHTTPserver).

Yes, it's all pretty confusing.  We have quite a few pokers in the fire
right now.

The thread support only allows the I/O to be concurrent.  Execution
inside your app will still be nonconcurrent until Zope2.

> Should I be using Zserver or is it still beta? What is/will
> be better about it?

Beta, we should be so lucky! :^)  As Chris mentioned it's alpha, for the
reasons he stated.

> Should I turn on threads with ZopeHTTPserver? I did, and it
> seems to work
> (Redhat Linux 5.2). Is that to allow multiple simultaneous requests?

As explained above, no, just to read input from the browser and send
output back to it.

Zope2 is the push for concurrency.  This involves two main areas: a
concurrent publisher and a concurrent transaction system.

The first area is ZServer, which as you can see is coming along nicely.
The second area is the "BoboPOS3" effort to make the database and the
transaction manager able to have multiple simultaneous requests.

We expected to get the database work caught up with ZServer this month,
but a customer project pushed Zope Classes up the priority scale.  If a
customer gig comes along the requires concurrency it will certainl
displace other things at the top of the list.

BTW, prepare to be dazzled by Zope Classes.  When combined with Zope
Property Sheets, it's going to radically change the way folks think
about data on the web.

> I also killed my apache and switch ZopeHTTPserver to port 80 so that I
> could see it from home through a firewall that I can't open
> port 9673 on.
> Now I can work nights and weekends, too! :) I can't see any
> reason to keep
> apache. My site is internal, low traffic, 90% dynamic. From
> what I read in
> the performance posts I am better off with ZopeHTTPserver, correct?

I believe you are correct, sir.

--Paul