[Zope] Incoming mail, scheduling

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:44:50 -0500

Eric wrote
> Zope is really great! I've been demoing it to various folks who need
> websites, and there's been quite a bit of drooling going on.

Great to hear!

> Several of my product ideas, though, need missing
> functionality. I'd love
> to be able to deliver mail to the Zope database (for bug
> trackers and such)
> and to schedule periodic tasks.

The Z RPC module in the Zope distribution would serve your needs for
both of these.

With it you can write a Python script with objects that are connected to
Zope via HTTP.  In the first case, you would create an email alias that
feeds the email to your script which connects to Zope.

In the second case you would create a cron job that connects to Zope and
tickles some URLs.

In effect, Z RPC allows you to externally-script Zope using HTTP.

--Paul