[Zope] - Multiple database files

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:13:33 -0500 (EST)

I was thinking of some of my development problems with Zope -- for
example, it's difficult to work on code at home, tar it up, bring it
to work and change it some more, take it home again ... -- and
realized that being able to split up the object database into multiple
files could help.  Imagine if you could have several Data.bbb files,
each holding some subset of the database's objects.  This might be
done by specifying into which file an object goes; the object's
children go into the same file, unless they're explicitly moved into
another file.

	That would let you put changeable, irreplaceable data like
user folders, user settings, etc. in one Bobobase file, and static
things like DTML pages into another file.  Updating to a new version
of the DTML would then require shutting down the Zope server,
replacing the Bobobase file with a modified version, and restarting;
the user settings would be unaffected by the change.

	Disclaimer: I haven't looked into the implementation at all,
and have no idea if this is trivial, painful, or completely
impossible.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Too little freedom makes life confusingly clumsy; too much, clumsily