[Zope] - ZODB XML import/export

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:55:09 -0600

Andrew's discussion about multiple databases got me
thinking again about XML import/export capability for
the Zope database.  I think an object database for
Python has broader implications for Python programmers
that extend beyond using it with Zope.  And having an
ability to analyze a database independent of the application,
independent of transactions, etc., makes XML import/export
a compelling feature.

A few questions/conjectures.

- Is there any kind of baseline DTD that will be designed
  for simple pickles?  If so, will the Zope Object Database
  DTD be an extension of the same?

- Not knowing anything about the ZODB release schedule, I
  think that simply having a release that supports XML export
  capability alone would be worth having (nudge, nudge) if
  XML import requires more time to implement.

- Is a staged build of a Zope system using XML import
  capability a likely scenario?  By this I don't mean
  is it *possible*, I'm asking if it will probably
  someday be considered a routine way to accomplish
  this kind of task.

- Are we likely to see the Zope Object Database used
  independently of Zope, i.e. where an object database
  may be desired (pickles + concurrent transactions) ?
  I'm not aware of anyone who used BoboPOS in this manner.

- What's the preferred acronym for the Zope Object
  Database?  ZODB?  Or is it preferred not to use
  an acronym?

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.