[Zope] - ANN: AutoMessageDialog patch

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:22:43 -0500

John Mitchell wrote:

> When editing files via the web in Zope, pressing the Change button gives
> you a dialog saying "Your changes have been saved", after which you get to
> click Okay to continue working.  If you work by editing/saving/reloading
> the same page iteratively, this can get tedious.

I agree very much.

> This patch creates a AutoMessageDialog object.  It functions just like the
> tradional MessageDialog, but it *times out* after a couple seconds,
> sending the user to the next page.  The AutoMessageDialog is installed in
> the edit-document page, but no others, and the timeout is defaulted to 2
> seconds.
>
> Lemme know if this is useful.
>
> http://people.magnet.com/~johnm/Zope/autodialog.patch

This sound's cool.

Some other ideas to kick around:

  - Some additional change buttons:

    "Change and View" - saves changes and shows results.
        This should work nicely with the browsers back
        button I think.

    "Change and Edit" - Returns immediately to the edit
        screen wo dialog.

    "Change and Done" - Saves and displays folder contents.

  - A status area that gives some feedback on the previous
    action.  The rule that we've followed is that we
    don't have to show the message dialog if the screen
    is different after an operation.  This is why there's
    no dialog when adding and deleting items in a folder.

    A status line could be blank normally and show something
    like: "Changes saved at <time>" after a change.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.