[Zope] - Ugh. Missing __doc__ causes major headaches

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:17:38 +0000

Gabe Wachob wrote:

> I spent a few stupid hours tracking this down...
>
> ZPublisher will complain that a "document cannot be found" if a method
> being referred to in a URL does not have a doc string (ie __doc__ or the
> ''' ...''' at the beginning of the method definition). Now, I remember
> reading something about this (doc strings required to make Bobo objects
> published) in the Bobo documentation back when bobo was the new hot
> thing, but it took me several hours to realize this was the problem
> tonight. I didn't see this mentioned in the Zope dox, and it had
> completely slipped my mind. Of course, now that I've found the problem,
> I see where its mentioned in the ORB Documentation.
>
> Someone might want to highlight this somewhere (a FAQ?). I was thinking
> a Product "Checklist" would be very useful. Also, examples of Folderish
> items...

Good idea.  Note that if Bobo debug mode is enabled, then
the error message would have highlighted this.  Unfortunately,
the ZopeHTTPServer doesn't use debug mode by default.
We should probably try to figure out a way to do this.

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.