[Zope] - ANNOUNCE: DCOracle release

Kevin Littlejohn Kevin Littlejohn <darius@connect.com.au>
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:15:22 +1100

>>> Anthony Baxter wrote
> I'd guess that one of the results is larger than can fit in an integer,
> maybe?

Actually, it looks like it was in dealing with the input parameters, rather
than the output ones - I found in ociCurs.py, around line 124, a piece of
code that turns a number into an integer if it has no 'scale'.  On commenting
that out, it appears to work.  If someone with a touch more knowledge than
I can comment on the ramifications of that, it'd be appreciated ;)

> also, if timestamp's a number, you don't need the ' 's around it.

Yeah, I know - I _did_ mention the example given was one of many attempts,
right? ;)

(quotes/noquotes * fmt/sqlvar * :float/:integer/nothing on input variables
= many different possible combinations to assure myself it wasn't a dumb
mistake in syntax ;)

Oh, one other thing I wanted to double-check:  In db.py (back in ZOracleDA),
in the 'columns' method, there's the following code:

    def columns(self, table_name):
        c=self.cursor
        try: r=c.execute('select * from %s' % table_name)
        except: return ()
        desc=c.description

That looks like tempting fate to me...  Is the 'select * from ' really
not going to do bad things?  (I'm presuming it doesn't actually trigger
the db into _doing_ a 'select * from' unless it calls fetchone())  Is
there a less, um, dangerous-looking way of getting the same result?
I only ask because select * from most of the tables here would go away
for a _very_ long time...

KevinL

Kevin Littlejohn,
Technical Architect, Connect.com.au
Don't anthropomorphise computers - they hate that.