[Zope] - Need installation recommendation

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:04:47 -0500

LD Landis wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Ok... Before getting into Zope+Gadfly, et al, I played around with
>   installing Gadfly into the /usr/local/lib/python1.5 directory (since I
>   didn't see any harm in having that there, from my perspective)...
>
>   I see that gadfly is also installed in the Zope lib... I currently have
>   the gadfly code in two places.
>
>   Now that I'm ready to install the DCOracle stuff, etc... what is the best
>   way to do that?
>
>   Do you recommend having separate library areas for each thing (like
>   gadfly, DCOracle, etc)? or just jam them all into the same lib?

This depends alot on your environment and way of doing things.

In many ways, I prefer wasting disk space and haveing various copies that
are well integrated with applications.  Others would reasoably prefer
to have only one copy of any package.

In other words, there isn't one right answer.

Gadfly complicates this slightly because (at least in the
last version I looked at):

  - It's not a package,

  - It want's a special install script to be run
    to tell it where certain files are and to
    cause these files to get created.

We've hacked around these with our pre-packaged
Gadfly.  Maybe this wouldn't be an issue with the current version.

(Yes, we do need to upgrade to the latest version. ...)

>   Is there anything about the DCOracle packaged in the Zope adapter that
>   would prevent just using what is placed elsewhere (e.g.
>   /usr/local/lib/python1.5 or subdir)?

No, as long as it is a top-level package.  The Oracle DA imports
DCOracle directly, so the package must be in either the DA package or
in the Python path.

>   Now that I'm getting ready to start running a much more fully featured
>   Python... I'm looking for "the voice of experience" in how to lay it out
>   so that it can be managed.

I'm very "product" oriented.  I want to distribute Zope products
that are as self-contained as possible.  This is good for
people who want to use Zope and aren't heavy Python users.

Python user's are more likely to want to extract parts, like
DCOracle or Gadfly.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.