[Zope] - DTML and Role information

David White davew@ed.ray.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:08:26 -0500

I'm in the process of seeing how I might go about converting some of
our existing web-based apps to Zope products.  I would like to move
the bulk of the user/profiling information into the Zope framework and
have each Product/App have its own set of Permissions/Roles/Users.  I
believe this would be quite easy with Zope.  The setup would be
something like this:

+-BaseDir

    +Product_A (has its own Roles and Permissions)
    |   |
    |   +-(acl_users)

    +-Product_B (has its own Roles and Permissions)
    |    |
    |    +-(acl_users) (possibly different from Product_A

    +-Product_C (has it own Roles and Permissions)

    |...etc

From the BaseDir I'd like to have a DTML page which can 'figure out'
which Products
the user has access to.  I basically don't want to provide any access to
a certain area below
unless I've confirmed they have the right to go there in the first
place.  I've seen that
the Tree tag has a parameter call 'skip_unauthorized', but I'd like to
go through the
sub-folders using an 'in' (for custom formatting).  Would I have to
write an External Method
which I'd use in an 'if' condition check inside the 'in' loop?  If so,
what would the correct syntax
be?  Is there a more direct/builtin way to get at a particular users
Role within the current or sub-folders?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

David R. White          Raytheon Electronic Systems
Process Support                      (508) 440-2087
528 Boston Post Rd.
Sudbury, MA 01776
davew@ed.ray.com